Meets National Minimum Wage
Accountable to: Owner / Director
Responsible to: The person in Charge / Registered Manager
Main Purpose of the job
- To share with other staff in meeting the personal needs of residents, in a way that respects the dignity of the individual and promotes independence.
- To help in the care of the residents Physical environment, and in the general day to day activities of the home.
Main tasks of job
- Assist residents who require help with dressing, undressing, bathing and using the toilet facilities.
- Help residents with mobility problems and other physical disabilities, including incontinence, help in the use and care of aids and personal equipment.
- Care for residents who are dying, and support of relatives where required.
- Help in the promotion of mental and physical activity of residents, through talking to them and sharing with them in activities such as reading, writing, hobbies and recreation.
- Make and change beds, tidy rooms and empty commodes where required.
- Ensure laundry is of a suitable condition for cleaning i.e. sluicing.
- Serve and assist / feed residents who need help.
- Answer nurse call bells within a reasonable time.
- Greet visitors and give assistance where necessary.
- Take part in staff meetings and training activities as directed.
- Such other duties as may be reasonably required.
Summary of responsibilities
- To support people to maintain and develop relationships
- To encourage people to become active and valued members of their community
- To explore opportunities and support experiences of participation
- Encourage people to have choice and control
- Encourage people to choose what they want and what they do not want to do
- To support people to make decisions that affect their lives
- Encourage individuals to use their rights to make choices
- Encourage individuals to express their individuality
- Encourage individuals to learn and grow from their experiences
- Encourage individuals to try new and challenging experiences
- Encourage individuals to get to know their local area and the resources and facilities within it
- Encourage people to do things for themselves or to learn how to
- Encourage people to do things on their own and to build their confidence
- Encourage and support people
- Encourage people to do things to the best of their abilities
- Encourage individuals to regain confidence and self esteem
To support your professional development by participating in supervision, team, service meetings and training programmes.
To work flexibly in the interests of the service. This may include undertaking other duties from time to time that are not specifically identified in this document, provided that these are appropriate to the employee’s background, skills and abilities. When this occurs there will be consultation with the employee and any necessary personal development will be taken into account.
To carry out other duties within the policies and procedures of the service.
To work positively and inclusively with colleagues and service users, so that the company provides a workplace that delivers services that do not discriminate against people on the grounds of their, age, sexuality, religion or belief, race, gender or disabilities.
To fulfil personal requirements, where appropriate, with regard to the company’s policies and procedures, health, safety and welfare, customer care, emergency, evacuation, security and promotion of the Homes Mission Statement.